Yesterday I was pleasantly surprised to receive a tweet and an email by the lovely Farnoosh of ProlificLiving letting me know she’d nominated me for a Beautiful Blogger Award. To be honest, being ‘somewhat’ new to this whole blogging community I’d never heard of it before, but nevertheless I was totally psyched to be nominated. (First time I can remember being nominated for anything… like ever!)
Not only was it exciting to be nominated, but Farnoosh said some wonderful things about me that completely just made my day. It’s funny because often as you blog, it feels like a somewhat lonesome world, especially if your momentum starts out a bit slow and comments are fairly quiet.
I’ve written about this before, but it’s a bit like feeling as though you’re talking to yourself and no one is listening. So to be chosen for something like this is a great boost to morale, because it makes me realize there are many of you who are reading and listening to what I have to say, and that even though I might not hear from you all the time, if ever…
You’re still there.
So thank you Farnoosh for reminding me of that and making my day spectacular!
Now, on to ‘bidness’.
To accept this Beautiful Blogger award, there are 6 steps required to be completed.
1) Thank the person who nominated me for this award.
2) Copy the award & place it on my blog.
3) Link to the person who nominated me for this award.
4) Tell us 7 interesting things about yourself.
5) Nominate 7 bloggers.
6) Post links to the 7 blogs I nominate.
1-3 are done in the beginning of this post. Now I’m left with number 4, coming up with 7 interesting things about myself to share with you. Eeek!
Talk about putting a girl on the spot.
OK, so here it goes, and NO laughing or making fun of me later! I know where you live! Alright, total lie but be nice anyway.
Here goes nothing!
1. I became a mama at the ripe old age of 17. I was 8 ½ months pregnant when I graduated high school and BOY was it HOT. I was totally miserable, bigger than a baby rhino, and seriously rethinking this whole ‘must graduate’ mentality I was rocking at the time. Luckily I survived and lived to tell the tale. Yay me!
2. I hate to talk. OK, not really hate to talk, but hate to talk publicly. I’m miserably shy and tend to lose all wit and sparkle when put on the spot and forced to speak in front of ::gasp:: people! I know, you’d never have guessed it right?
I really am though, it’s rather sad.
3. I’m ‘mildly’ self-diagnosed OCD. Yes I realize you’re not supposed to diagnose yourself, but I did it anyway. It seems to run in my family, and me and my sister share the same habits. Habits like when I eat M&M’s, I must eat the same amount on each side or it feels ‘off’.
Or if I walk by and slap my sister on a butt cheek, it’s imperative that I do it to her other butt cheek too, or THAT feels ‘off’… for both of us! Or when my boyfriend walks by and pulls my toes to pop the knuckles, he absolutely MUST do both feet or I pitch a brat fit because it feels ‘off’! Yes I’m a dork and my sister is too.
4. I harbor secret dreams of fame, and fortune, and bestselling books, with maybe a cool record and a movie thrown in for good measure… not necessarily in that order. I also harbor secret dreams of world domination and being a kick-butt adventurer chick circa Lara Croft… but I digress.
5. I often attach theme songs in my head to life as it happens around me and think life should be more like the movies and ALWAYS have theme music. It just makes things so much more interesting! Did I mention I’m a dork?
6. I once had a baby mockingbird that fell out of a tree that I took care of. It survived for like a week with me taking care of him. Then I went to my dad’s for the weekend, and the bird stayed with grandma… I think it was heartbroken or something because he died while I was gone. I didn’t know that could happen, but I guess baby birds can get a little attached.
7. Once I was on a dock with my granddad, and he was fishing. I wanted to try, so he baited for me and then asked if I wanted him to cast for me. Younger me being all independent, said “No granddaddy, I can do it!” I then proceeded to look behind me while attempting to cast. Failing to look ahead of me as I stepped forward.
Me… meet water.
I stepped right of the dock into the lake and scraped the crap out of my leg in the process. Talk about painful! Luckily the lake was only a few feet deep so I wasn’t too traumatized. As previously stated, I’m a dork.
And Now… My 7 Nominees
1. Workin’ On A Ramp– Jenny McCoy’s tagline? “My two cents. You should take it. We’re in a recession.” Says it all don’t you think? This woman cracks me up on a regular basis, and if you have a few minutes to watch her dancing video in the sidebar… DO! It’s hilarious. She provides me with random entertainment value all the time and to me that’s priceless!
2. ViperChill– I was recently turned on to Glen’s blog via my Tweep @SuiteJ. This guy has some killer content on making money online, and writes total novels for posts, which I love. I don’t know if you’ve noticed but my own posts have gotten much longer lately, so a fellow long-poster is appreciated! Plus you can really tell that his genuine goal is to help others in their own journey to living life on their terms, which rocks!
3. SugarRae– I ran across this blog after I guest posted on ProBlogger and was combing through some older posts. Rae’s tagline is “Never mess with a woman who can pull rank.” I love that. That’s ballsy, and her blog shows she can back it up, which makes her one of my new heroes. Plus she’s a single ma of 3 kids, I mean c’mon… have you tried being a single mom?!
4. IttyBiz– I came across Naomi’s blog about two or three weeks ago. Naomi rocks. You’ll see exactly why I love her blog once you visit and read a bit. We’ve got a similar sense of humor and she’s got great advice if you’re an entrepreneur. Besides, who can resist a blog named IttyBiz?
5. White Hot Truth– I love Danielle’s blog because I simply love her voice. She is a writer that I connect with, both in what she says and how she says it. Not to mention I love the simplicity of the design of her blog, and she’s just got great, often inspirational stuff to say. So keep sayin’ it sister!
6. Life Without Pants– Matt’s subscription form says “Go Commando! Subscribe to Life without Pants!” I was hooked from there on out. LOL Dig around his archives and you will find some great content, a great sense of humor, and an inspirational world view. Plus he seems to be quite a novel style poster himself on occasion. Are you starting to see a trend here?
7. Escaping The 9 to 5– I landed on Maren’s blog thanks to Matt from Life Without Pants. Thanks Matt! I landed on this particular post that you’ll see when you follow the link, and was hooked. I now love Maren’s blog! She’s a smart chick, and I can’t wait to see where her journey takes her.
Ta-Da! Man that was harder than I thought it’d be!
So many amazing bloggers and writers, not enough space or time to nominate them all!
So I hope you enjoyed the sweat of my brow this day, and you’ll get no more of me until tomorrow! OK fine, maybe you’ll will if I’m feeling squirrelly, but no promises. Later readers!